Installation the Lync 2010 Server is easy as next, next, next (almost).
But if it is a journey thru hell for you, and you are installing the Lync server on Virtual Machine – you need to check two things:
- Is your windows server 2008 R2 a debug version? (Right click Computer, Properties, if you find „debug” there – you need to switch the OS.)
- Is your instalation performing on Domain Controler?
You need to answer NO in BOTH cases. So – install valid system (release not debug), and do not try to install the Lync server on the Domain Controller.
If you answered Yes on one or both questions you will probably have errors:
- Cant install SQL Express 2008 R2 because of strange errors
- Cant install SQLInstanceRtc in Lync
- Cant publish topology
- etc, strange errors
After selecting the right OS version, go with the flow. First of all you need the Domain Controler machine (and you cant install the Lync There), then you need to have another windows server (and there you can install the Lync).
In my case the scenario is:
Machine A: Windows 2008 Server R2 – The Domain Controller
Machine B: Windows 2008 Server R2 – The Lync Server
Machine A and B has to have the static IPs.
On the A machine – install role Active Directory Service.
On the B machine – you need to install the .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features (by using Add Feature), then just start the installation of Lync 2010 Server.
- Lync 2010 Step-by-step instalation tutorial
- MSSQL troubleshooting
- Completely remove the Lync 2010
- Lync Client authentication testing facility